Do you get exhausted from paying out the nose to keep your car insured? You are in the same boat as many other drivers in Nebraska.
It goes without saying that car insurance companies want to keep you from shopping around. Insureds who compare other rates will presumably buy a new policy because they have a good chance of finding a policy with more affordable rates. A study showed that people who made a habit of comparing rates saved over $3,400 over four years compared to other drivers who don’t make a habit of comparing rates.
If finding the lowest rates on auto insurance in Lincoln is your objective, understanding how to quote prices and compare insurance premiums can save time, money, and frustration.
Steps to saving money on Chevy Uplander insurance in Lincoln
The best way to find more affordable car insurance rates is to start doing an annual price comparison from insurance carriers in Lincoln. You can compare rates by following these guidelines.
First, gain an understanding of the different coverages in a policy and the modifications you can make to prevent high rates. Many things that cause high rates such as traffic violations, accidents, and a not-so-good credit history can be amended by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
Second, quote rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can provide rates from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can give you price quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
Third, compare the new quotes to your current policy to see if a cheaper rate is available in Lincoln. If you find a lower rate and change companies, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
Fourth, provide notification to your current agent or company of your intent to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit a down payment and signed policy application to the new insurer. Immediately upon receiving it, place the new proof of insurance certificate along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
A good tip to remember is to use the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on every quote request and and to get quotes from as many companies as you can. Doing this provides the most accurate price comparison and the best price selection.
Numerous insurance companies battle for your business, and it can be difficult to compare rates to get the best rates possible on Chevy Uplander insurance in Lincoln.
Smart consumers take time to shop coverage around every six months because prices go up and down regularly. If you had the best deal on Chevy Uplander insurance in Lincoln two years ago you may be paying too much now. You’ll find quite a bit of inaccurate information about Uplander insurance out there, but you can learn the easiest ways to find cheap car insurance in Lincoln.
If you have a current car insurance policy or just want to reduce your rates, you can learn to get lower rates and still get good coverage. Choosing the best rates in Lincoln is not that difficult. You only need an understanding of the most efficient way to compare rates over the internet.
The following companies are our best choices to provide price quotes in Lincoln, NE. To find cheap car insurance in Lincoln, it’s highly recommended you click on several of them to get the most competitive price.
Buying the right Uplander insurance in Nebraska is an important decision
Despite the potentially high cost of Chevy Uplander insurance, insurance may be required for several reasons.
- Most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific minimum amounts of liability in order to license the vehicle. In Nebraska these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Chevy has a lienholder, it’s most likely the lender will make it a condition of the loan that you have insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the lender may insure your Chevy at a much higher rate and require you to pay for it.
- Insurance safeguards both your Chevy Uplander and your assets. It will also reimburse you for medical bills for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay to defend you if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your Chevy gets damaged, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance outweigh the cost, especially if you ever need it. But the average American driver is currently overpaying as much as $865 each year so it’s important to compare rates every year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Chevy Uplander insurance discounts in Lincoln
Companies don’t list all their discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so the below list has a few of the more well known as well as the least known discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Lincoln car insurance online.
- Paper-free Discount – Certain companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks get Lincoln car insurance on the web.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Having worked for a branch of the government can save as much as 8% with a few insurance companies.
- Early Switch Discount – A few companies give discounts for renewing your policy prior to your current Uplander insurance policy expiration. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Senior Citizen Rates – If you’re over the age of 55, you can get a discount up to 10%.
- Theft Deterrent Discount – Cars and trucks that have factory anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft so companies will give you a small discount.
- Waiver for an Accident – Not necessarily a discount, but companies like State Farm and Progressive will let one accident slide without raising rates so long as you haven’t had any claims before the accident.
We need to note that most credits do not apply to the entire cost. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. If you do the math and it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
Large insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are shown below.
- American Family offers discounts for accident-free, Steer into Savings, mySafetyValet, good student, and TimeAway discount.
- State Farm discounts include Steer Clear safe driver discount, defensive driving training, multiple autos, good driver, safe vehicle, passive restraint, and student away at school.
- 21st Century may have discounts that include theft prevention, teen driver, homeowners, student driver, good student, defensive driver, and driver training.
- Travelers offers discounts including IntelliDrive, driver training, good student, early quote, and multi-policy.
- GEICO has savings for five-year accident-free, federal employee, air bags, military active duty, and anti-lock brakes.
If you need lower rates, check with each insurance company the best way to save money. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not be offered in your area. For a list of companies with the best Chevy Uplander insurance discounts in Lincoln, click this link.
Do I need a local insurance agent?
Some consumers would prefer to talk to a local agent. Agents can answer important questions and will help you if you have claims. The biggest benefit of comparing auto insurance online is you may find the best rates and also buy local.
After completing this quick form, the coverage information is submitted to agents in your area that give free quotes for your coverage. You don’t have to do any legwork because prices are sent to the email address you provide. If you wish to quote rates from a specific company, you would need to jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
Finding the right insurer should depend on more than just the premium amount. A good agent in Lincoln will have answers to these questions.
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
- Can you contact them at any time?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
The type of auto insurance agent you choose is important
When narrowing the list to find an insurance agent, you need to know there are two different agency structures and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Auto insurance policy providers can be classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents. Both do a good job, but it’s worth mentioning the difference in the companies they write for because it may have an impact on buying decisions.
Exclusive agencies can only provide one company’s prices and examples are Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. Exclusive agents cannot shop your coverage around so they really need to provide good service. They are well trained on their products and sales techniques and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
The following are exclusive insurance agents in Lincoln that can give you price quote information.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be independent are not limited to a single company and that gives them the ability to insure amongst many companies and find the cheapest auto insurance rates. To move your coverage to a new company, your policy is moved internally and that require little work on your part.
If you are comparing rate quotes, you will definitely want to compare prices from several independent agencies for the best price selection.
Below is a short list of independent agents in Lincoln who can help you get rate quotes.
How to know if you need help
When quoting and choosing coverage online or from an agent for your vehicles, there is no perfect coverage plan. Your needs are unique to you so your insurance should reflect that
Here are some questions about coverages that might help in determining whether you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Is extra glass coverage worth it?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in Nebraska?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- What is the ISO rating for a Chevy Uplander?
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
- What is PIP insurance?
- Is my ex-spouse still covered by my policy?
If you can’t answer these questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
Insurance coverage breakdown
Having a good grasp of a insurance policy helps when choosing the best coverages for your vehicles. The terms used in a policy can be difficult to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Shown next are the usual coverages found on most insurance policies.
Comprehensive auto coverage
Comprehensive insurance pays for damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. A deductible will apply and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims like rock chips in glass, a broken windshield, damage from flooding, a tree branch falling on your vehicle and theft. The maximum payout you’ll receive from a claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Coverage for collisions
This coverage pays for damage to your Uplander resulting from a collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. A deductible applies then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage pays for claims such as damaging your car on a curb, sideswiping another vehicle, hitting a parking meter, sustaining damage from a pot hole and colliding with another moving vehicle. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to raise the deductible on your Uplander to bring the cost down.
Medical payments and PIP coverage
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage kick in for bills such as surgery, funeral costs, chiropractic care and pain medications. The coverages can be used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and also covers if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal Injury Protection is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Liability coverage provides protection from damage or injury you incur to people or other property that is your fault. It protects YOU from claims by other people. Liability doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You commonly see liability limits of 25/50/25 which stand for a limit of $25,000 per injured person, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and a total limit of $25,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability insurance covers things like bail bonds, court costs, attorney fees, structural damage and repair bills for other people’s vehicles. How much liability should you purchase? That is a personal decision, but you should buy as much as you can afford. Nebraska requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/25 but drivers should carry higher limits.
The illustration below demonstrates why buying low liability limits may not be adequate coverage.
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage
This coverage provides protection when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. It can pay for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your Chevy Uplander.
Due to the fact that many Nebraska drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (Nebraska limits are 25/50/25), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Don’t give up on cheaper coverage
When getting Lincoln car insurance quotes online, make sure you don’t buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many situations where an insured cut comprehensive coverage or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that it was a big error on their part. Your aim should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest cost and still be able to protect your assets.
Some companies may not have rate quotes online and many times these small, regional companies prefer to sell through independent insurance agents. Low-cost Chevy Uplander insurance in Lincoln is possible both online in addition to many Lincoln insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture.
Steps to buying affordable Chevy Uplander insurance in Lincoln
The best way we recommend to find cheaper prices for Chevy Uplander insurance in Lincoln is to start comparing prices yearly from providers who provide auto insurance in Nebraska.
First, it will benefit you to learn about what is in your policy and the changes you can make to keep rates down. Many risk factors that increase rates like accidents, traffic tickets, and a substandard credit history can be controlled by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
Second, obtain price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can provide rates from one company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agents can provide rate quotes from multiple sources. View a list of agents
Third, compare the new quotes to your current policy and see if you can save money. If you can save some money and change companies, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
One bit of advice is that you’ll want to make sure you compare the same amount of coverage on each quote and to quote with every company you can. This enables a fair rate comparison and the best price selection.
Much more information about insurance in Nebraska can be found at these links:
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)
- Who Has Affordable Lincoln Auto Insurance for a Toyota RAV4? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Lincoln Car Insurance for a Nissan Sentra? (FAQ)
- Hybrid vehicles cost insurers more (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What to do at the Scene of an Accident (Insurance Information Institute)