A recent survey discovered that a large majority of consumers renewed their policy with the same company for at least four years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never even shopped around for cheaper coverage. The average driver in America can save hundreds of dollars each year just by getting comparison quotes, but most undervalue the actual amount they would save if they bought a different policy.
The easiest way to find affordable quotes for auto insurance rates in Lincoln is to do an annual price comparison from insurers in Nebraska. Rates can be compared by following these steps.
- First, read and learn about what is in your policy and the things you can change to drop your rates. Many rating criteria that drive up the price like at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and a low credit rating can be rectified by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Keep reading for additional tips to get cheaper rates and earn a bigger discount.
- Second, obtain price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can give quotes from a single company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can give you price quotes for a wide range of companies. Click to view companies
- Third, compare the new quotes to your existing rates and determine if there is any savings. If you find a better price and switch companies, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, provide adequate notice to your current company to cancel your current coverage. Submit payment and a completed application to your new agent or company. As soon as you receive it, keep the new proof of insurance paperwork in an accessible location in your vehicle.
One thing to remember is to try to compare the same liability limits and deductibles on every quote and and to look at as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this ensures the most accurate price comparison and a complete rate analysis.
Locating the best rates in Lincoln is much easier if you have a good place to start. If you have insurance now or need new coverage, use these techniques to reduce the price you pay without having to cut coverage. Vehicle owners only need to know the fastest way to quote multiple rates from many different companies online.
The easiest way to get policy rate comparisons for Chevy Sonic insurance in Lincoln is to know the trick most larger insurance companies will pay a fee to compare their rates. To start a quote, the only thing you need to do is give them rating details such as how many miles driven, how old drivers are, how much education you have, and your job. That information is sent automatically to insurance companies and they provide comparison quotes quickly.
To compare multiple company lower-cost Chevy Sonic insurance rates now, click here and complete the form.
The car insurance companies shown below provide price comparisons in Nebraska. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Insurance does more than just protect your car
Despite the high insurance cost for a Chevy Sonic in Lincoln, paying for insurance serves an important purpose.
- Almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means state laws require specific limits of liability insurance coverage if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Nebraska these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Chevy has a loan, most lenders will stipulate that you buy full coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender will be forced to insure your Chevy at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your vehicle. It also can pay for most medical and hospital costs that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of having insurance outweigh the cost, especially when you need to use it. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is overpaying over $869 every year so it’s very important to do a rate comparison every year to ensure rates are competitive.
Get cheaper Chevy Sonic insurance in Lincoln with discounts
Insurance is not inexpensive, but there could be significant discounts to reduce the price significantly. A few discounts will be applied at the time of quoting, but lesser-known reductions have to be requested specifically before they will apply.
- New Car Discount – Buying a new car instead of a used Sonic can be considerably cheaper compared to insuring an older model.
- Theft Deterrent Discount – Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles are stolen less frequently and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- First Accident Forgiveness – Not necessarily a discount, but companies like State Farm and GEICO may permit one accident without getting socked with a rate hike if you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Resident Student – Kids who live away from home at college without a vehicle on campus could qualify for this discount.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Options like air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts of more than 20%.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Select companies reward you with a discounted insurance rate on car insurance if you buy some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Seat Belts Save – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to wear their seat belts can save up to 15% off the medical payments premium.
- Driver Training Discounts – Successfully completing a class that teaches defensive driving techniques could save 5% or more and easily pay for the cost of the class.
While discounts sound great, it’s important to understand that some credits don’t apply to all coverage premiums. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So when it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
If you would like to view insurers that offer discounts in Nebraska, follow this link.
When to contact an insurance agency
A lot of people just prefer to have an agent’s advice. Licensed agents are trained risk managers and will help you if you have claims. A good thing about comparing rates online is the fact that drivers can get lower rates and still have a local agent.
After filling out this quick form, your information is emailed to local insurance agents who want to provide quotes for your business. You never need to drive around because prices are sent instantly to you. If you need to compare rates from a specific insurance company, you would need to go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Finding the right insurance company shouldn’t rely on just the premium amount. The following questions are important to ask.
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
- How long have they been in business?
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- Is coverage determined by price?
If you want to use a local agent, it’s important to understand the different types of agencies and how they function. Insurance agents are categorized either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Either can sell and service insurance coverage, but we need to point out the difference in the companies they write for since it may influence which type of agent you select.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These agents are contracted to one company such as Farmers Insurance and State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to compare other company’s rates so keep that in mind. These agents are very knowledgeable in insurance sales and that can be a competitive advantage.
Below are exclusive agencies in Lincoln who may provide you with rate quotes.
American Family Insurance – James L. Brown Agency Inc
4500 Cornhusker Hwy Ste 1 – Lincoln, NE 68504 – (402) 465-0748 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
These type of agents are normally appointed by many insurers and that gives them the ability to insure amongst many companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If prices rise, they can switch companies in-house and the insured can keep the same agent. If you need lower rates, you absolutely need to contact at a minimum one independent agency to ensure the widest selection of prices.
The following are Lincoln independent insurance agencies willing to provide comparison quotes.
What is the best insurance coverage?
When choosing coverage, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Your situation is unique so your insurance needs to address that.
For example, these questions could help you determine if your insurance needs might need professional guidance.
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
- Am I covered by my spouse’s policy after a separation?
- What does medical payments coverage do?
- What is glass protection for?
- Is my Chevy Sonic covered for smoke damage?
- Should I buy full coverage?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It is quick, free and can help protect your family.
Auto insurance coverage options for a Chevy Sonic
Having a good grasp of auto insurance can help you determine which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. Auto insurance terms can be difficult to understand and coverage can change by endorsement. Shown next are the usual coverages available from auto insurance companies.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers – Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when other motorists are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. This coverage pays for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your Chevy Sonic.
Since many Nebraska drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (25/50/25 in Nebraska), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision) – Comprehensive insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. A deductible will apply then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things like hail damage, theft, damage from flooding and damage from a tornado or hurricane. The maximum amount a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Liability car insurance – This can cover damage that occurs to other people or property. Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. Your policy might show limits of 25/50/25 which stand for $25,000 bodily injury coverage, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and a limit of $25,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability coverage pays for things such as legal defense fees, emergency aid, funeral expenses and bail bonds. How much coverage you buy is up to you, but consider buying as large an amount as possible. Nebraska state law requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/25 but it’s recommended drivers buy more liability than the minimum.
The chart below shows why the minimum limit may not be enough coverage.
Collision – This pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from colliding with an object or car. You will need to pay your deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision insurance covers things like colliding with another moving vehicle, damaging your car on a curb and sideswiping another vehicle. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are older. It’s also possible to choose a higher deductible on your Sonic to bring the cost down.
Medical expense insurance – Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance pay for immediate expenses like EMT expenses, funeral costs and rehabilitation expenses. They are often used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if there is no health insurance coverage. They cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and also covers being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal Injury Protection is only offered in select states and may carry a deductible
Cheap auto insurance is out there
Lower-priced auto insurance in Lincoln can be found from both online companies and with local Lincoln insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best selection. There are still a few companies who may not offer online price quotes and many times these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of information how to get a better price on Chevy Sonic insurance in Lincoln. The key thing to remember is the more you quote Lincoln auto insurance, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even find the most savings is with an unexpected company. These companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm or Progressive.
- Auto Insurance Basics (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for Good Students in Lincoln? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for College Students in Lincoln? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Single Moms in Lincoln? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Lincoln Auto Insurance for Uninsured Drivers? (FAQ)
- How to Avoid Common Accidents (State Farm)
- Young Drivers: The High Risk Years Video (iihs.org)
- Preventing Carjacking and Theft (Insurance Information Institute)
- How do I File a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)