If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to get the cheapest car insurance rates is to compare quotes once a year from insurers in Lincoln.
Step 1: Try to learn a little about policy coverages and the measures you can take to drop your rates. Many factors that are responsible for high rates such as at-fault accidents and a negative credit history can be controlled by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
Step 2: Request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide prices from multiple sources.
Step 3: Compare the new rates to your existing coverage and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you find a lower rate quote and switch companies, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
Step 4: Give proper notification to your current agent or company of your decision to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit a signed application and payment for the new policy. Once the paperwork is finalized, put the new proof of insurance certificate in an accessible location in your vehicle.
A valuable tip to remember is to try to compare the same amount of coverage on every quote request and and to get quotes from all possible companies. Doing this provides a level playing field and many rates to choose from.
Unthinkable but true, the majority of drivers have been with the same company for well over three years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never taken the time to shop around. Most drivers in Nebraska can save hundreds of dollars each year just by comparing rates, but they underestimate the benefits if they changed companies.
Low cost Lincoln Toyota 86 insurance rate quotes
Just remember that comparing a large number of companies will improve the odds of getting lower pricing.
The car insurance companies shown below are ready to provide quotes in Lincoln, NE. If you want to find cheap car insurance in Lincoln, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get the most affordable price.
Three reasons to not skimp on insurance
Despite the high cost, maintaining insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
First, almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability protection if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Nebraska these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you bought your car with a loan, it’s guaranteed your bank will require you to have insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank will be required to insure your Toyota for a much higher rate and force you to reimburse them for it.
Third, insurance protects your vehicle and your assets. It will also provide coverage for medical transport and hospital expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability coverage also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, your policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of insuring your car outweigh the cost, especially with large liability claims. The average driver in America is wasting up to $865 each year so compare rate quotes at every renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Affordable rates by taking advantage of discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always advertise every discount in an easy-to-find place, so we break down a few of the more well known as well as some of the hidden discounts that may be available.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with one insurance company you may earn approximately 10% to 15%.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having an actively deployed family member could trigger a small discount.
- Good Grades Discount – Being a good student may save you up to 25%. The good student discount can last well after school through age 25.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Participating in a course that instructs on driving safety can save you 5% or more depending on where you live.
- Driver Education Discount – Teen drivers should enroll and complete driver’s education if offered at their school.
As a disclaimer on discounts, some credits don’t apply to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. So when the math indicates having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, nobody gets a free ride. But any discount will help lower your insurance premiums.
The best insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are detailed below.
- State Farm may have discounts that include good student, passive restraint, student away at school, good driver, and defensive driving training.
- American Family offers discounts for mySafetyValet, accident-free, good student, Steer into Savings, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, and early bird.
- AAA offers discounts including multi-car, AAA membership discount, anti-theft, good driver, and pay-in-full.
- GEICO includes discounts for driver training, membership and employees, defensive driver, anti-lock brakes, daytime running lights, air bags, and emergency military deployment.
- Mercury Insurance may offer discounts for age of vehicle, multi-policy, ease of repair, location of vehicle, accident-free, annual mileage, and multi-car.
- Farmers Insurance offers premium reductions for pay in full, multi-car, good student, business and professional, and early shopping.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including online signing, good student, multi-policy, online quote discount, continuous coverage, and multi-vehicle.
When getting free Lincoln auto insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to every company to apply every possible discount. Some credits may not apply to policies in every state.
Insurance quotes from local Lincoln insurance agencies
Some people just prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is OK! A nice benefit of getting online price quotes is that you can find cheaper car insurance rates but also keep your business local.
To find an agent, once you fill out this short form, your information is instantly submitted to agents in your area that can give you free Lincoln auto insurance quotes to get your business. There is no reason to find an agent on your own as quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. You can find lower rates without a big time investment. In the event you want to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, feel free to jump over to their website and give them your coverage information.
Finding a good insurance company should include more criteria than just a cheap price. Here are some questions to ask:
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in Lincoln?
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- What companies can they write with?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
If you need to find a reliable agent, it’s important to understand the types of agencies and how they can write your policy. Insurance agencies in Lincoln can be described as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agents have only one company to place business with such as Farmers Insurance, State Farm, or Allstate. They are unable to place coverage with different providers so they have to upsell other benefits. They are trained well on their products and sales techniques which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Consumers sometimes buy from the same agent for years primarily because of the brand legacy rather than low rates.
Listed below is a list of exclusive agencies in Lincoln that are able to give rate quotes.
- Allstate Insurance: Erik Brooks
1600 Normandy Ct #110 – Lincoln, NE 68512 – (402) 261-3959 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Darryl Moore
7111 A St #103 – Lincoln, NE 68510 – (402) 413-7111 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Rob Bryant
6211 O St B – Lincoln, NE 68510 – (402) 488-8997 – View Map
Agents that choose to be independent are not employed by one company so they can write business through many companies and get the cheapest rates. If they find a cheaper price, they simply move your policy to a different company and the insured can keep the same agent.
When comparing insurance prices, you will want to include rate quotes from independent agents so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare. Many independent agencies also insure through smaller regional carriers which may have better rates.
The following is a short list of independent insurance agents in Lincoln that are able to give rate quotes.
- UNICO Group
1128 Lincoln Mall #200 – Lincoln, NE 68508 – (402) 434-7200 – View Map
- MIAA – Midwest Insurance Agency Alliance
6120 Havelock Ave – Lincoln, NE 68507 – (402) 467-5355 – View Map
- Cornhusker Insurance Agency
6100 Apples Way #110 – Lincoln, NE 68516 – (402) 436-2423 – View Map
Don’t assume everyone needs the same auto insurance coverage
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing coverage online or from an agent for your personal vehicles, there really isn’t a perfect coverage plan. Every insured’s situation is different.
These are some specific questions could help you determine whether or not you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- Why are teen drivers so expensive to add on to my policy?
- How much liability insurance is required?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- What states are considered no-fault?
- How does medical payments coverage work?
If you can’t answer these questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form.
Ratings for Nebraska car insurance companies
Choosing the highest-rated car insurance provider is hard considering how many different companies sell coverage in Nebraska. The rank data shown next can help you pick which providers you want to consider putting your business with.
Top 10 Lincoln Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- USAA – A++
- Travelers – A++
- State Farm – A++
- GEICO – A++
- Nationwide – A+
- Esurance – A+
- The Hartford – A+
- Progressive – A+
- Allstate – A+
- The General – A-
Cover all your bases
Cost effective Toyota 86 insurance is attainable both online and from local insurance agents, so you need to shop Lincoln auto insurance with both so you have a total pricing picture. There are still a few companies who do not offer the ability to get a quote online and these small insurance companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
As you shop your coverage around, don’t be tempted to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many instances, someone dropped liability coverage limits only to discover later that the savings was not a smart move. The proper strategy is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best price, but do not skimp to save money.
People who switch companies do it for many reasons like delays in paying claims, denial of a claim, policy non-renewal or even delays in responding to claim requests. Regardless of your reason, choosing a new insurance company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
Additional auto insurance information is located at the links below
- Determining Auto Insurance Rates (GEICO)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers Under 21 in Lincoln? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers with Bad Credit in Lincoln? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for High Mileage Drivers in Lincoln? (FAQ)
- Parking Tips to Reduce Door Dings (State Farm)
- Event Data Recorders FAQ (iihs.org)
- Child Safety FAQ (iihs.org)