It takes a little time, but the best way to find more affordable auto insurance rates in Lincoln is to start doing an annual price comparison from companies that sell auto insurance in Nebraska. You can compare prices by following these steps.
First, read about the coverage provided by your policy and the things you can control to prevent high rates. Many rating factors that are responsible for high rates such as at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and bad credit can be controlled by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
Second, request price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can provide rates from a single company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can provide prices for a wide range of insurance providers.
Third, compare the new rates to your current policy to see if a cheaper rate is available in Lincoln. If you find better rates and decide to switch, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
Fourth, tell your current agent or company to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit a signed application and payment to your new insurance company. Be sure to place the new certificate verifying proof of insurance along with your vehicle registration.
The most important part of shopping around is to use identical limits and deductibles on every quote request and to quote with all possible companies. This guarantees the most accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that the vast majority of auto insurance customers renewed their policy with the same company for at least four years, and almost half have never compared auto insurance rates at all. Many consumers in Lincoln could pocket roughly 30% a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they just feel it’s too hard to do a rate comparison.
How to Lower Your Insurance Prices
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that help determine the rates you pay for insurance. If you understand what determines base rates, this helps enable you to make changes that could result in better insurance rates.
- Small claims can cost you – If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you can definitely plan on higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Auto insurance companies in Nebraska provide cheaper rates to drivers who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Your car insurance is meant to be used in the event of the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Careless driving leads to higher premiums – A bad driving record has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Attentive drivers tend to pay less for car insurance as compared to those with violations. Getting just one driving citation can bump up the cost by as much as twenty percent. Drivers who have severe tickets such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence are required to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state in order to keep their license.
- Credit rating impacts prices – Having a good credit rating is a big factor in your rate calculation. Therefore, if your credit rating could use some work, you could pay less to insure your Land Rover LR3 if you improve your credit rating. People that have excellent credit tend to be better risks to insure than drivers who have poor credit.
- More policies can equal more savings – Most major insurers allow lower prices to customers that purchase more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Discounts can be as much as ten percent or more Even if you’re getting this discount it’s in your best interest to shop around to help ensure you have the lowest rates.
- Liability claims can be big – The liability coverage on your policy will protect you in the event that you are ruled to be at fault for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. Your liability coverage provides legal defense coverage starting from day one. Liability insurance is pretty cheap when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
There are several ways to compare prices from local Lincoln auto insurance companies. By far the easiest way to find the lowest rates consists of shopping online.
Keep in mind that getting more free quotes increases your odds of finding a lower rate. Not every company provides rate quotes online, so it’s necessary to compare prices from the smaller companies as well.
The following companies have been selected to offer free rate quotes in Lincoln, NE. To buy cheap car insurance in Lincoln, we suggest you visit two to three different companies in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Auto insurance does more than just repair your car
Despite the high cost, insuring your vehicle serves an important purpose.
- Just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific level of liability in order to license the vehicle. In Nebraska these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, most lenders will have a requirement that you have comprehensive coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you default on your policy, the lender may insure your Land Rover for a lot more money and make you pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects not only your car but also your financial assets. Insurance will pay for many types of medical costs that are the result of an accident. Liability coverage also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you cause an accident and are sued. If you have damage to your Land Rover as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially if you ever need it. But the average driver in Nebraska is currently overpaying as much as $830 a year so compare rate quotes every year to make sure the price is not too high.
Don’t overlook these Land Rover LR3 insurance discounts
Some companies don’t list the complete list of policy discounts in an easy-to-find place, so below is a list a few of the more well known as well as the least known credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Mature Driver Discount – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you can possibly qualify for a slight reduction on a Lincoln car insurance quote.
- Good Student – A discount for being a good student can earn a discount of 20% or more. Most companies allow this discount until age 25.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to complete a driver education course if offered at their school.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can pay as much as 50% less than their less cautious counterparts.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Just owning your own home can get you a discount because owning a home shows financial diligence.
- Professional Memberships – Having an affiliation with certain professional organizations is a good way to get lower rates when shopping for auto insurance.
- Passenger Safety Discount – Cars that have air bags or automatic seat belts can qualify for discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars with ABS and/or traction control have fewer accidents and will save you 10% or more on LR3 insurance in Lincoln.
- Buy New and Save – Insuring a new LR3 can save up to 30% because newer vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
As a sidenote, many deductions do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. Just because you may think you can get free auto insurance, that’s just not realistic.
Large auto insurance companies and their possible discounts include:
- State Farm discounts include good student, safe vehicle, good driver, driver’s education, Drive Safe & Save, and defensive driving training.
- GEICO offers discounts for emergency military deployment, membership and employees, seat belt use, multi-vehicle, and air bags.
- Liberty Mutual has savings for new graduate, safety features, new vehicle discount, newly married, multi-policy, and new move discount.
- The Hartford may offer discounts for bundle, good student, driver training, defensive driver, anti-theft, vehicle fuel type, and air bag.
- MetLife policyholders can earn discounts including good student, accident-free, claim-free, defensive driver, multi-policy, good driver
- Progressive offers discounts including online quote discount, good student, continuous coverage, multi-policy, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and online signing.
Check with each company or agent how many discounts you can get. All car insurance discounts might not be offered in Lincoln. To view companies with discount auto insurance rates in Nebraska, follow this link.
Are insurance agents used anymore?
Many people just prefer to buy from a local agent and doing so can bring peace of mind An additional benefit of comparing rates online is that you can obtain cheap rate quotes and still buy from a local agent.
Once you complete this short form, the coverage information gets sent to local insurance agents in Lincoln who will gladly provide quotes for your business. There is no reason to leave your computer since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox. You can get cheaper insurance rates without having to waste a lot of time. If you wish to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, you can always navigate to their website and fill out their quote form.
Choosing the best company should include more criteria than just the premium amount. Before buying a policy in Lincoln, get answers to these questions.
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Omissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
How to choose the best car insurance agent in Lincoln
If you need to find a reputable insurance agent or broker, there are two types of insurance agents and how they are slightly different. Insurance agencies are categorized either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agents can only write with one company such as State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. Exclusive agencies are unable to compare other company’s rates so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agents are highly trained on what they offer and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. Many people buy from the same agent for years primarily because of high brand loyalty and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Listed below are exclusive insurance agents in Lincoln that are able to give comparison quotes.
- State Farm® insurance – Dean R Hoy
3883 Normal Blvd – Lincoln, NE 68506 – (402) 489-7171 – View Map
- Shelter Insurance – Reed Devall
1419 N Cotner Blvd – Lincoln, NE 68505 – (402) 464-9300 – View Map
- John Eshleman – State Farm Insurance Agent
7501 O St #103 – Lincoln, NE 68510 – (402) 483-7578 – View Map
These type of agents do not write with just one company and that enables them to quote your coverage with a variety of different insurance companies and find the cheapest insurance rates. If your premiums go up, they simply move your policy to a different company which requires no work on your part.
When shopping rates, it’s a good idea to get rate quotes from several independent agencies to get the best comparison. Many can place coverage with mutual insurance companies which may provide better rates.
Below is a short list of independent agents in Lincoln that can give you comparison quotes.
- Gary Thompson Agency, Inc.
4200 Lucile Dr a200 – Lincoln, NE 68506 – (402) 475-2609 – View Map
- MIAA – Midwest Insurance Agency Alliance
6120 Havelock Ave – Lincoln, NE 68507 – (402) 467-5355 – View Map
- Midwest Regional Agency
201 S 84th St – Lincoln, NE 68510 – (800) 873-9713 – View Map
Your situation helps dictate your coverage
When it comes to buying coverage for your vehicles, there isn’t really a one size fits all plan. You are unique so your insurance needs to address that.
These are some specific questions might help in determining whether your personal situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- Why are teen drivers so expensive to add on to my policy?
- Is my custom stereo system covered?
- What does roadside assistance cover?
- What discounts do I qualify for?
- Can I make deliveries for my home business?
- What is motorclub and do I need it?
- Are all vehicle passengers covered by medical payments coverage?
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Lower rates by being persistent
Some auto insurance companies may not provide online quoting and these small insurance companies only sell coverage through independent insurance agents. Budget-friendly auto insurance in Lincoln is available online as well as from independent agents in Lincoln, and you need to comparison shop both to get a complete price analysis.
As you shop your coverage around, you should never skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are a lot of situations where an insured cut liability limits or collision coverage only to regret at claim time that it was a big mistake. Your goal should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the lowest possible cost but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Additional detailed information can be read at these sites:
- Avoiding Deer Collisions (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Lincoln Auto Insurance for a Toyota RAV4? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for a GMC Acadia in Lincoln? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Rogue in Lincoln? (FAQ)
- Rental Car Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- No-Fault Auto Insurance Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Liability Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)
- Protect Yourself Against Auto Theft (Insurance Information Institute)