Being forced to pay for pricey auto insurance premiums can overdraw your accounts and put a big crunch on your finances.
It’s an obvious assumption that insurance companies want to keep you from comparing rates. Consumers who get price comparisons are very likely to buy a different policy because there is a significant possibility of finding a more affordable policy premium. A recent study showed that drivers who compared rate quotes regularly saved $850 each year compared to other drivers who never shopped around for cheaper prices.
If finding the best price on insurance is why you’re here, then learning about the best way to quote and compare coverage rates can make it simple to find affordable coverage.
How to find discount car insurance in Lincoln
The recommended way to get more affordable auto insurance rates is to regularly compare prices from insurance carriers in Lincoln. You can shop around by following these guidelines.
- Try to comprehend car insurance and the changes you can make to lower rates. Many rating factors that are responsible for high rates such as accidents, careless driving, and a not-so-good credit history can be rectified by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
- Compare prices from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only quote rates from a single company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes from multiple sources. View companies
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to see if cheaper coverage is available in Lincoln. If you find a lower rate and switch companies, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Notify your current company to cancel your current coverage. Submit the completed application along with a down payment to your new agent or company. As soon as you receive it, store the certificate verifying coverage in your vehicle’s glove compartment or console.
A good tip to remember is to compare the same liability limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to get price quotes from as many auto insurance providers as possible. This ensures the most accurate price comparison and and a good selection of different prices.
Since vehicle owners have many different company options, it’s nearly impossible to pick the most cost effective insurer.
The intent of this article is to introduce you to the best way to buy inexpensive car insurance and how to save the most money. If you currently have a car insurance policy, you should be able to reduce the price you pay using the ideas covered in this article. But Nebraska car owners can benefit from knowing the way companies determine prices.
Discounts can help lower rates on car insurance
Not too many consumers would say car insurance is affordable, but you might find some hidden discounts that you may not even know about. Some discounts apply automatically when you quote, but some discounts are required to be inquired about before you will receive the discount. If you do not check that you are getting every discount you deserve, you may be paying too high a price.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking time to complete a defensive driver course could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
- Renewal Discounts – A few larger companies give discounts for signing up prior to your current policy expiring. It could save around 10% when you buy Lincoln auto insurance online.
- Military Discounts – Being deployed with a military unit could qualify you for better premium rates.
- Lincoln Homeowners Pay Less – Owning a home in Lincoln can save a few bucks because of the fact that having a home shows financial diligence.
- Anti-theft Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems are stolen with less frequency and will qualify for a discount on a Lincoln auto insurance quote.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts may earn rate discounts as much as 30%.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Fewer annual miles may enable drivers to earn discounted prices on garaged vehicles.
- Payment Discounts – If you can afford to pay the entire bill rather than spreading payments over time you can avoid monthly service charges.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when it seems like you can get free auto insurance, car insurance companies aren’t that generous.
If you would like to choose from a list of insurance companies that have a full spectrum of discounts in Nebraska, follow this link.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LT||$712||$356||$59|
|Chevrolet Malibu LT||$726||$363||$61|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Regular Cab 2WD||$714||$357||$60|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab SLT 2WD||$778||$389||$65|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$602||$301||$50|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Harley 4WD||$778||$389||$65|
|Ford Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$736||$368||$61|
|Honda Accord EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$652||$326||$54|
|Honda CR-V EX 2WD||$602||$301||$50|
|Honda Civic Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$764||$382||$64|
|Hyundai Elantra Blue 4-Dr Sedan||$736||$368||$61|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD||$712||$356||$59|
|Mazda 3 S Sport 4-Dr Hatchback||$764||$382||$64|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 4-Dr Sedan||$712||$356||$59|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$816||$408||$68|
|Toyota Corolla S||$750||$375||$63|
|Get Rate Quotes for Your Vehicle Go|
Premium data assumes married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Nebraska minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, homeowner, and multi-vehicle. Prices do not factor in specific location which can change prices significantly.
How to buy Lincoln car insurance online
When comparison shopping, comparing a wide range of rates helps improve the odds of finding more affordable rates. Not every company allows you to get quotes online, so it’s necessary to compare prices from them, too.
The companies in the list below offer price comparisons in Lincoln, NE. In order to find the cheapest auto insurance in Nebraska, it’s a good idea that you get rates from several of them to find the most affordable car insurance rates.
Eight tips to get lower Lincoln car insurance costs
The best way to find cheaper car insurance is to take a look at some of the things that aid in calculating the level of your policy premiums. If you have some idea of what impacts premium levels, this helps enable you to make changes that could result in lower car insurance prices.
The factors shown below are a few of the things utilized by car insurance companies to help set your premiums.
- Your credit history is important – Having a bad credit history is a big factor in determining what you pay. Drivers with very good credit scores tend to be less risk to insure than drivers who have poor credit scores. If your credit is low, you could potentially save money when insuring your vehicle if you clean up your credit.
- Increase deductibles to save – Physical damage protection, also known as collision and other-than-collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered are running into the backend of another car, collision with an animal, and rolling your vehicle. The deductibles you choose represent how much money the insured will be required to pay in the event of a claim. The larger the amount the insured has to pay upfront, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Bundle home and auto and save – Most larger insurers allow discounts for people that have more than one policy. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. The discount can be five, ten or even twenty percent. If you currently are using one company, you still need to get quotes from other companies to make sure you are getting the best deal. You may still save more without the discount by buying insurance from more than one company.
- Don’t let your coverage lapse – Driving your car without having proper coverage is against the law and as a result your rates will increase for letting your insurance expire. Not only will you pay higher rates, failure to provide proof of insurance can result in a revoked license or a big fine. You may then be required to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Nebraska motor vehicle department.
- Cheaper rates after marriage – Being married can get you a discount on your car insurance bill. Having a spouse demonstrates that you tend to be more mature than a single person and insurance companies reward insureds because being married results in fewer claims.
- Male prices may be higher – Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. The data does not necessarily mean that males are worse at driving than females. Males and females are in at-fault accidents in similar numbers, but guys tend to have more serious accidents. Men also tend to have more aggressive citations like reckless driving and DUI. Young males are the most expensive to insure so it costs more to insure them.
- Car features that cut premiums – Purchasing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can help lower your premiums. Advanced theft deterrents like tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all help prevent auto theft.
- Pay more if you have a long commute – Being located in smaller towns and rural areas of the country is a good thing when buying car insurance. City drivers have to deal with more auto accidents and longer commutes to work. Fewer people means a lower chance of having an accident as well as less vandalism and auto theft.
When do I need to have guidance from a local insurance agent?
Many drivers still like to buy from a licensed agent and that is a personal choice. The biggest benefit of comparing insurance prices online is you can get cheap insurance rates and still have an agent to talk to. And providing support for local insurance agencies is still important in Lincoln.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), your information is emailed to local insurance agents in Lincoln who will give you quotes for your coverage. You won’t even need to do any legwork because prices are sent directly to your email. It’s the lowest rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you have a need to quote rates from a specific insurance company, you can always find their quoting web page and complete a quote there.
Not all auto insurance agents are the same
If you are searching for a reliable insurance agent, you should know the types of insurance agents and how they work. Insurance policy providers can be categorized as either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
These type of agents often have many company appointments and that gives them the ability to insure amongst many companies and find the cheapest insurance rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your policy is moved internally which makes it simple for you. If you are comparing insurance prices, we highly recommend that you check rates from independent agents to have the most options to choose from.
Shown below is a list of independent insurance agents in Lincoln that can possibly get you price quote information.
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only quote rates from one company like Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They usually cannot give you multiple price quotes so always compare other rates. Exclusive agents are well trained on their company’s products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Shown below are Lincoln exclusive insurance agents that can give you comparison quotes.
American Family Insurance – James L. Brown Agency Inc
4500 Cornhusker Hwy Ste 1 – Lincoln, NE 68504 – (402) 465-0748 – View Map
Finding the right auto insurance agent is decision based upon more than just the bottom line cost. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Will the quote change when the policy is issued?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- What kind of financial rating does the company have?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
If you feel you receive positive responses to these questions and an acceptable price quote, it’s possible that you found an insurance agent that can be trusted to insure your vehicles.
Three reasons insurance is important
Even though it can be expensive, paying for insurance is mandatory in Nebraska but it also protects more than you think.
- Almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific level of liability protection in order to license the vehicle. In Nebraska these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, almost every bank will require that you have physical damage coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If the policy lapses, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your vehicle at a much higher premium rate and make you pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your vehicle and your assets. Insurance will pay for all forms of medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability coverage also covers legal expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your vehicle gets damaged, your insurance policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of buying insurance more than cancel out the cost, especially if you ever need it. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is currently overpaying as much as $855 a year so compare rates at every renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Smart consumers save more
Cost effective auto insurance can be bought from both online companies as well as from independent agents in Lincoln, and you should compare rates from both to have the best selection. Some auto insurance companies do not offer price quotes online and these small insurance companies work with independent insurance agencies.
When buying insurance coverage, it’s not a good idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. Too many times, consumers will sacrifice physical damage coverage and learned later that it was a big error on their part. Your goal should be to get the best coverage possible for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
We covered many tips how you can lower your auto insurance prices in Lincoln. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even discover the lowest priced auto insurance comes from an unexpected company. Regional companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than their larger competitors like State Farm or Progressive.
Steps to finding discount auto insurance in Lincoln
If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to save on auto insurance rates in Lincoln is to regularly compare prices from insurance carriers in Nebraska.
- Step 1: It will benefit you to learn about how auto insurance works and the measures you can take to prevent rate increases. Many factors that result in higher rates such as your driving record and a poor credit score can be remedied by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
- Step 2: Request price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can provide rates from one company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agents can give you price quotes for a wide range of companies. View a list of agents
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find better rates and switch companies, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Notify your current company of your decision to cancel your current policy and submit payment and a signed application to the new company. Immediately upon receiving it, keep your new proof of insurance certificate in an easily accessible location in your vehicle.
The key thing to know about shopping around is that you’ll want to compare identical coverage information on every quote request and and to analyze as many companies as you can. Doing this helps ensure an accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
- Uninsured Motorists: Threats on the Road (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Lincoln Car Insurance Rates for a Hyundai Elantra? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with Good Credit in Lincoln? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for Low Income Drivers in Lincoln? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for a Toyota Tacoma in Lincoln? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for a Company Car in Lincoln? (FAQ)
- Warning systems don’t curb driver distraction (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Young Drivers: The High Risk Years Video (iihs.org)
- New vehicle ratings focus on headlights (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Should I Buy a New or Used Car? (Allstate)